Compiled for the 50th Anniversary, 1998, by Jean Loeb, long time member and secretary of MAC.
The Mississippi Art Colony was born in 1948, at historic Allison’s Wells in Way, Mississippi. It was Spring. Mrs. D. C. (Leith) Latimer was strolling the grounds with Hosford and John Fontaine, owners of the resort, and Karl and Mildred Wolfe, well-known artists. Leith Latimer exclaimed “Wouldn’t this be a grand place for an art colony!” All five agreed with enthusiasm, and the project was off and running.
Allison’s Wells was indeed a “grand place” for an art colony. A pavilion for painting was available, of course. There was the hotel for housing, with a fine dining room serving delicious food. There was a fish pond, a swimming pool, and horses for riding.